Advocating for the Expansion of Individual and Family Supports
The Council advocates for the expansion of individual and family supports to enable people with developmental disabilities to remain in their homes. The Council:
- Advocates for changes to policies and practices in the developmental disability system and for the necessary funding to expand supports and services.
- Oversees implementation of the Community and Family Support System Plan and advocates for the consistent implementation of policy across regions.
Advocating to Decrease the Number of People in Private and Public Residential Facilities (ICFs/DD)
The Council promotes high quality individualized supports for people with developmental disabilities so they may live in their own homes and be active participants in the life of their communities. The Council:
- Advocates for initiatives that provide opportunities for residents of private ICFs/DD to transition into the community with waiver supports.
- Provides information to families, state agencies and other stakeholders about home and community-based service options.
- Advocates for higher waiver rates to serve people with complex and challenging medical and/or behavioral support needs.