Partners in Policymaking
- Candidates in training attend a monthly weekend session each month from January through June in Baton Rouge.
- Weekend sessions start Friday at 12:00 PM and conclude Saturday afternoon at 3:00 PM.
- Attendance at all sessions is mandatory.
- Candidates are expected to:
– commit to one major assignment during the course, and
– complete assignments between sessions.
- In addition, expenses for travel, lodging, meals, respite care and attendant services for candidates will be reimbursed.
- More information will follow upon receipt of your application.
Training Topics Include:
- History: Independent Living Movement; Parent and Self Advocacy Movement
- Education: Inclusion and Quality
- Supported Living; Family Support; and Supported Employment
- Assistive Technology; Understanding Difficult Behaviors
- State Legislative Issues
- Federal Policy and Legislative Issues
- Advocacy Organizations and Efforts; Community Organizing
- Parliamentary Procedure and How To Conduct Effective Meetings